This resource describes an implementation of this activity in an intro non-majors Environmental Science class. Written instructions to students for the overall class activity and for randomizing colonization with a die roll are included. A Google Sheet for students to enter their data is included, along with a data analysis template in Excel. A screencast video to help students with the data analysis in Excel and a link to the HHMI Biointeractive Spreadsheet Tutorial are included. Finally, teaching notes describing challenges of this implementation are included.
This version of the exercise involves the same general exercise and concepts but differs in the following:
(1) it is set up to run in a lecture over the course of a week or so. The timeline of events (in numerical order) included:
1. Homework assignment to view two Island Biogeography Videos (Youtube).
2. A follow-up quiz that is intended to assess student understanding of the basic concepts associated with Island Biogeography learned from watching the videos. The quiz includes two questions: (1) matching: the four curves of the Graphical representation of the theory (Mac Arthur and Wilson 1967) matched with the words "large", "small", "near", "far; (2) short answer: Describe what the graph is telling us.
3. After the quiz, students spend time in small groups of 2 or 3 developing a hypothesis (use the hypothesis development pages from the original Module).
4. Students spend a class period gathering baseline data (Islands prior to manipulations).
5. Students conduct their manipulations (tosses, replication events, etc.) during a second class period.
6. Students evaluate a graphical representation of their data as homework.
7. There is a final class discussion on whether the data support their original hypotheses and how the data could be best graphically presented.
8. Final assessment questions as part of an exam assess student growth over the exercise and allow students to evaluate the exercise.
(2) incorporates supplemental information (i.e. HHMI Biointeractive Excel Tutorials, videos, continuous assessment).